Thursday, August 20, 2009

Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why" - Bernard M. Baruch

They say (whoever they are) that the apple never falls far from the tree. I disagree. I have 2 apple trees in my yard and every once in a while I'll happen upon an apple in a very random place. Once I found one huddled up against the swamp cooler on my roof. My apple trees aren't anywhere near my roof.

It's perplexing.

As I was doing yardwork last night I realized just how many boxes of apples I'm going to have in about a month and a half so I decided to start digging my apple recipes out.

One of my favorites, and easiest, is for chunky applesauce. Here's the recipe:

Amazing Chunky Applesauce

3-4 pounds of apples, peeled, cored and quartered
4 strips of lemon peel
juice of 1 lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. white sugar
1 C. water
1/2 t. salt

Place all ingredients in a large (heavy) pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat, remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency. (Leave somewhat chunky!) Pour into clean jars, add lids and rings then process for 25 minutes in water bath.

If you want more details, I posted pictures of the whole process on my blog last year: Applesauce

And I'm so excited to try some of the other recipes you guys have posted. It all looks fabulous!

Happy Cooking!

No comments: