Thursday, July 30, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

I made this last week with my KitchenAid. I also ground my own wheat for it. It turned out really well. So the recipe must be good, because I didn't mess it up!

Nutrition per serving: 167 Calories; 1g Total Fat; 6g Protein; 33g Carbs; 1mg Cholesterol; 214mg Sodium.
From Lion House Recipes Lite

1 package (1 scant tablespoon) active dry yeast
3 cups lukewarm water
1/4 cup molasses
1 tablespoon light butter, softened
1 cup white flour
6.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal (I used instant Kirkland packages)
6 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
2 teaspoons salt

Instructions for mixing with an electric mixer: Soften yeast in 3 cups lukewarm water in large mixing bowl. Stir in molasses and butter. Combine flours, oatmeal, dry milk, and salt; add (1/4 at a time) to yeast mixture, beating until dough forms a ball and leaves sides of bowl (part of the flour may need to be mixed in by hand). Remove beaters, cover bowl, and let dough rise for 1 hour in warm (80-85 degrees) area away from drafts. Spray two 9x5-inch pans with nonstick cooking spray. Knead down dough; divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in bread pans and let rise until about double in size. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves, about 12 slices each. The bread was pretty dense, so I've been cutting thin slices and I'm getting a lot more than 12 slices per loaf.

No comments: